A New Mexico man is recovering in a Texas
burns center after his prosthetic leg was set on fire during a drinking
game, the Las Cruces Sun-News reported Saturday.
The 47-year-old man and his friends had been drinking together and made a bet that whoever drank the least would be set on fire.
Police said the man told investigators he only drank six beers and so lost the bet and agreed to be set on fire.
The friends set his prosthetic leg — which is made of plastic — on fire but the flames quickly spread.
His buttocks and lower back received severe burns and he took his clothes off in an attempt to ease the pain.
friends decided to take him to the hospital but became "nervous and
dropped the victim off" on a highway instead, police said.
passersby reported seeing the man in distress he was taken to Mountain
View Regional Hospital before being transferred to a Texas burn
“I have worked with Hired Power extensively in collaboration with Clearview Treatment Programs’ individualized outpatient program. I am always impressed with their effectiveness and professionalism.”
“Thanks again for being there for us and guiding us through some rough waters. Your kindness and genuine concern deeply touched my soul and we are all grateful our paths crossed when they did. You are a truly gifted professional, keep on doing what you do so well.”
“I just want to thank Hired Power for the PRA. He was a perfect match and I can’t say enough…. He was intensely committed. This is the first time I have been clean in over 30 years. Thank you again.”
“I don’t look at you (Hired Power) as hiring a service, I look at you as saving my life.” (referring to his ability to stay sober after returning home).