Quality drug rehabs have some key elements in common which make the programs effective. When searching for the best place to receive help for a drug or substance use addiction, keep the following components in mind.
Every effective drug rehab program must meet standards adopted by the state where services are provided. Licensure, accreditation, or certification is required. Once this qualification is met, how a person decides on what a good program looks like should review the following 5 principles during the search.
- Program Licensing – A certified treatment program is very important. Check to make sure accreditation in the state where services are offered is up-to-date. The facility will also be certified by third party agencies such as the Joint Commission on Accreditation of Healthcare Organizations (JCAHO), the Commission on Accreditation of Rehabilitation Facilities (CARF) and/or the National Association of Addiction Treatment Providers (NAATP).
- Customized or individualized programs – Diversity in program structure is an important element in rehab. A one-size-fits-all approach to treatment will not translate to an individual receiving treatment tailored for specific needs. Every person has distinct needs so the program should offer a customized approach to facilitate recovery.
- Family involvement in the treatment process – Transitions back into family situations post rehab can be challenging, at best. Programs which keep this in mind and support the transition are better as the ability to reconnect with family while in treatment offers better chances for recovery post rehab. A healthy foundation is built during treatment with appropriate boundaries respected. A recovery plan can be developed which incorporates the whole family for a more centered, holistic approach.
- Aftercare treatment plans – Any chosen program should offer a clearly defined plan of action for follow up on discharge. Plans can include ways to manage stress or tips to avoid toxic people and situations or referrals to support groups for relapse prevention. Individuals should have a connection to therapists during and after treatment so it is worthwhile to choose a program with regular follow-up to verify post-treatment progress.
- Medical records – Documentation kept during a person’s stay in rehab is essential to success. Standard records documenting history of examination, diagnosis and treatment of a person are vital for providers involved in the continuum of care. New providers can also be kept in the loop about the person’s history and recovery plans to provide the best support possible.
The best treatment programs offer therapeutic support to individuals in their care. This can include behavioral therapy and psychotherapy. This forms the basis of any quality addiction treatment program which can enhance the effectiveness of medications and promote longer stays in treatment. Pharmaceutical interventions or medications can help re-establish brain function to prevent relapse and diminish cravings. A comprehensive treatment program will address a person holistically and provide for mental and physical needs.
Hired Power provides help for families of loved ones with addiction. Call us at 800-910-9299 for more information on how we can help.