Marijuana addiction is listed as an official substance use disorder. Though the addiction type might be argued, there is little debate with those who experience it. Marijuana, though it has many medicinal purposes, can cause a chemical dependency. Without marijuana people find they experience withdrawal symptoms like anxiety inability to sleep, and inability to eat.
When You Are High On Marijuana, You…
…feel very “stoned”, or like you are carrying a dead weight around with you. Everything feels heavier, including your brain. You have a feeling as though you are slowed down.
…feel very “high”, or like you are floating on air. Everything feels much lighter and you feel almost disconnected from the world around you, rather than feeling sunken into it.
…feel surreal, as though you are living in a different version of the world. Sometimes it’s very funny and sometimes it’s very troubling.
…feel pleasurably fine, better than most times, and like nothing could bother you, because while you care about a lot of things, you don’t feel like you could care about a lot of other things.
…experience troubling feelings of depression, pessimism, hopelessness, anxiety, worry, concern, paranoia, or panic
These mood and mental health symptoms of marijuana use are common for recreational users and chronic users. As people use over time, their reactions to marijuana can change. Sometimes what starts as a fun recreational activity can turn quite dark and serious.
Side Effects Of Marijuana Addiction
- Chronic coughing and chest pain
- Having lung infections and difficulty breathing
- Ongoing feelings of being slowed down; coordination is impaired
- Eyes have become red even when not using marijuana due to expanded blood vessels
- Difficulty keeping new information and making sense of things
- Challenges obtaining knowledge
- Paranoia, psychosis, or other severe psychological disturbances
- Chronic depression and/or suicidal ideations
- Heart problems including: tachycardia, hypertension, heart attack
Do You Have To Detox From Marijuana?
Marijuana withdrawal syndrome describes the various effects that detoxing from marijuana can have on someone who has become chemically dependent. Symptoms can include:
- Sleep disturbances
- Cravings and obsessing over marijuana
- Aggressive behavior
- Restlessness and irritability
Don’t know how to get started looking for help with a marijuana addiction? You don’t have to do this alone. Hired Power is a recovery services business helping you through every step of the treatment process. For more information, call 800-910-9299.