Graduation from drug rehab is a major accomplishment in a teen’s life. Getting through detox and rehab is a personal triumph yet sober living can still feel overwhelming. Coping skills are necessary to deal with the challenges of daily life in recovery outside rehab. Sober living homes provide a bridge between the rehab phase and the real world.
Sober living homes can be a very effective transition for rehab graduates which provides a safe environment to learn appropriate skills necessary for daily living. Important areas may include:
- How to stay clean and sober
- Get and stay connected to 12-step programs
- Deal with mental health and physical conditions
- Find supportive setting under supervision to gain independence
Transitional living environments have similar benefits to sober living homes. The residences provide a secure, supportive setting where teens may continue to be supervised while retaining some independence and flexibility. Accountability is key as teens earn freedom to go to school, work part-time and be with family. The following are additional benefits:
- Opportunity to develop social-emotional skills without distractions or triggers
- Support of other teens committed to recovery
- Supervision by specialists trained in treatment of teens
- Rules and expectations helps teens develop a sense of responsibility and stay on track with recovery
- Learn adequate coping strategies and build self-confidence
Rules and Guidelines
Sober living homes are more open and less restrictive than addiction treatment centers but lots of rules exist to support teens safely:
- No alcohol or drugs are allowed
- Residents follow a curfew
- Teen residents cannot have guests after a certain time
- Violence and aggression not allowed
- Teens must attend counseling or community meetings
- Teens must participate in house meetings
- Residents are assigned tasks and chores
- Teens must attend school or work a job
Sober living provides a space to learn accountability to authority figures, family members, peers and the self. The rules are strict but provide flexibility once a teen learns how to cope better. The goal is to support independence after leaving the home so the teen will have confidence in the ability to cope.
Finding a Home
Sober living homes are found in many settings. Some residences are privately owned or in mainstream neighborhoods. Addiction treatment programs for teens may include sober living options as part of aftercare protocol. When researching for a home, look for one that stresses family involvement, personal growth and accountability for teens located in a safe environment away from triggers or distractions. The goal is to find a space that is affordable, comfortable and, most of all, provides space to recover from addiction in a healthy way.
Teens need a space dedicated to their needs which are unique in recovery. Call Hired Power to find out how we can support your teen’s journey to recovery from addiction.